Town Council approved the purchase of approximately 1.5 acres at 68 Boundary Street in June 2016 for the purpose of providing additional public open space and parking in the Bluffton Historic District. The project scope includes improvements to Green Street parking, sidewalks, lighting, site furnishings, a restroom addition to the existing building, tree trimming, and landscaping.
The goals of this project include the following:
- Provide additional public parking in close proximity to the Historic District businesses.
- Expand the Town of Bluffton's public park network and amenities adjacent to an existing popular gathering space at DuBois Park and Calhoun Street.
- Provide a pedestrian walkway network along Boundary, Lawrence, and Green Streets to connect to Calhoun Street, DuBois Park, Heyward House and other neighborhood and businesses within Bluffton's Historic District.
- Preserve existing tree canopy and open space in an area that was subject to likely redevelopment of highly-intense land uses.
- Improve appearance, civic pride, and provide potential space for neighborhood interaction and opportunities to stage community events.