Terry was born at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and was raised in Southampton, New York.
Finger practiced in Columbia, South Carolina from 1979 to 1984. He has practiced on Hilton Head Island continuously since 1984. In addition to his private practice, Finger served as the first Municipal Judge for the Town of Hilton Head Island and served in that capacity from 1992 through 2001. Since 2003, Finger has been a part-time Beaufort County Magistrate. Finger is a mediator and arbitrator certified by the South Carolina Supreme Court.
Mr. Finger graduated from St. Lawrence University. Finger then went on to the University of South Carolina School of Law in Columbia, South Carolina where he graduated in 1979 with the South Carolina Law Review dating 1977 to 1979. Bar admissions include: South Carolina, 1979, U.S. District Court District of South Carolina, 1979 and U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit.
Finger is a member of:
- American Junior Golf Association
- Heritage Classic Foundation
- Hilton Head Island Bar Association (Past)
- Hilton Head Island Chamber of Commerce (Past)
- Hilton Head Preparatory School (Past)
- Sea Pines Montessori School (Past)
- Spanish Wells Property Owners Association
- Summary Court Judge Association