The Town of Bluffton’s new short-term rental ordinance requires all property owners to register their short-term rentals, along with a business license and safety checklist. While the ordinance was effective at the beginning of the year, the Town postponed compliance as it partnered with Host Compliance, a national company specializing in monitoring short-term rentals, to offer a streamlined, user-friendly process for property owners.
The Town’s estimated 150 short-term rental owners will be notified by Host Compliance by letter starting this week to register their requisite paperwork. If owners are ready to file, they can do so via the following links: https://secure.hostcompliance.com/bluffton-sc/permit-registration or visit https://www.townofbluffton.sc.gov/705/Short-Term-Rentals and use the link on the Short-Term Rental webpage to register.
“This ordinance, along with the new registration system, allows the Town to adopt industry best practices to ensure the safety of guests and to better protect property owners, their customers and the town,” said Interim Town Manager Scott Marshall.
Property Owners of Short-Term Rentals Reminders:
- A short-term rental unit permit is required before the property owner advertises, leases or operates a short-term rental.
- The permit application must be completed in full, with all required supplemental information attached.
- An annual renewal of this permit is required.
- The definition of short-term rental is a dwelling unit, principal or accessory, that is rented in its entirety to guests for less than 30 consecutive days.
Requirements of Property Owners:
- Obtain a Town of Bluffton short-term rental unit permit
- Obtain a Town of Bluffton business license
- Initial the Town of Bluffton short-term rental checklist
- Provide a Property Owners Responsibilities and Acknowledgement Affidavit
- Provide a Notice to Adjacent Property Owners Affidavit
- Submit letter of approval from property owner’s Property Owners Association, if applicable
If property owners need further information or guidance about this process, please contact the Town’s Customer Service Center at 843.706.4500.