Waste Management, the Town of Bluffton’s contracted waste disposal and recycling provider, is adding an additional truck and “rebalancing” recycling routes in Bluffton to accommodate the increased recycling demand. This will result in more efficient service for Waste Management’s Bluffton customers.
Bluffton residents are recycling more due to the upgraded 96-gallon recycling carts which started in July as a part of Waste Management’s new contract with the Town. The 96-gallon carts replaced 18-gallon bins.
“This is a testament to how successful the recycling program is in Bluffton,” Russ Hightower, government affairs and public sector manager for Waste Management, said. “The increased participation combined with the growth in Bluffton demands we use more trucks and rebalance the routes. Sizing our routes appropriately ensures that we continue to strive to provide Bluffton citizens with exceptional service.”
Waste Management representatives informed the Town about 20% of the homes on their routes will have a day change to their recycling pick-ups (i.e. the week will stay the same.) Only one neighborhood, Rose Dhu Creek, will have a day and a week change to its schedule. Please remember recycling pick-up is every other week.
The schedule change will begin the week of September 28.
This schedule change only affects recycling; all trash service remains the same. The following neighborhoods will have a recycling-only schedule change:
- Buck Island/Simmonsville community’s new recycling day will be Wednesdays from Fridays.
- Heritage at New Riverside’s new day will be Tuesdays from Mondays.
- Hidden Lakes’ new recycling day will be Wednesdays from Fridays.
- New Hope Village’s new recycling day will be Wednesdays from Fridays.
- Palmetto Pointe Townes & Villages’ new day will be Wednesdays from Mondays.
- Rose Dhu Creek’s new day will be Wednesdays from Fridays. Please note Rose Dhu Creek neighborhood will be the only neighborhood which will also switch weeks.
- Seagrass Station’s new day will be Wednesdays from Fridays.
- The Landings at New Riverside’s new day will be Wednesdays from Mondays.
- Townes at Buckwalter’s new day will be Wednesdays from Fridays.
- Wellstone’s new day will be Wednesdays from Fridays.
Town staff will remind residents through several social media/website notifications and inform property managers/neighborhood leaders to help notify neighborhoods of the change. Waste Management will also mail out updated flyers to each of the 2100 homes affected by this schedule change.
As a reminder, the Town manages Waste Management’s contract for each resident in the Town limits as part of tax-funded services. For customer service, please contact Waste Management at 843.397.7670 or firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Town’s main number at 706-4500.