Watershed Management

The Town of Bluffton’s Watershed Management Division within the Engineering Department is directly responsible for developing, implementing and promoting initiatives in support of the Town’s Strategic Plan, specifically Focus Area: The May River and Surrounding Rivers and Watersheds, and the following guiding principles:

  1. Principle 1 – Support initiatives, such as the May River Watershed Action Plan, to improve water quality of the May, Okatie/Colleton and New Rivers and their watersheds.
  2. Principle 2 – Seek collaboration and partnerships that protect, and improve the May Okatie/Colleton and New Rivers and their watersheds.
  3. Principle 3 – Celebrate the May River and its heritage, and importance to the community.

Division Mission

The Division’s Mission is to understand, strengthen and preserve the relationships between our community and its watersheds. Our Vision is to establish Bluffton as regionally- and nationally-recognized leader in watershed management through local actions.


The Division is responsible for implementing the May River Watershed Action Plan through:

  • Stormwater Best Management Practices (BMP)
  • BMP maintenance inspection and post-construction testing program
  • Construction site inspections
  • Developing and enforcing the Town’s stormwater ordinance and design manual
  • Master plan and development plan compliance reviews
  • Provide representation on the County Stormwater Utility Board
  • The Town’s Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Program
  • Water quality monitoring and testing

Report a Flooding or Drainage Concern

To report a flooding or drainage concern, an illicit discharge, or other drainage related requests, please contact the Town via SeeClickFix.